Friday, October 9, 2009

JRA

It was only fair. The wave of luck I had been riding had to break at some point. For the past few years I was replacing parts because I had worn them out, not broken them. Yeah, I was beginning to feel pretty damn cocky. Even this season seemed to be going like the last few. An adjustment here, a tweak there, some new cables, maybe change the brake pads once in awhile, and a regular bath for my ride seemed all I needed to keep the Blizzard happy and content.

This sudden meltdown that came from nowhere has me wondering. I have suspicions. The first sign of trouble was some weeks ago. I was grinding up a hill and suddenly the chain leaped into the spokes. Some chain links had twisted and the chain shifted itself right off the big cog.

"Okay", I thought, "No big deal. Shit happens." I shortened the chain and went on my merry way.

My rides became mechanically blissful again. No issues other than mud grunged derailleurs slowing the shifting or brakes squealing when they got wet. I still had the constant battle with that rear tire. The damn thing just would not hold air longer than a few days. Well, I could be stubborn too. I just kept the air to it before each ride.

A month or so ago I began to dream of a new bike. If it lived up to my expectations it would most likely replace the Blizzard as my go to ride on most days. For weeks I thought about this new bike. For weeks I talked up this new bike. Seven days ago I ordered up parts for my new bike. And last night, the night before all those shiny new parts were slated to come in, the Blizzard found a stick and committed Hari Kari. It self destructed. I had nothing to do with it. I was Just Riding Along.

No comments:

Post a Comment